Friday, November 9, 2007

Comforting Cookies


Today I decided to make some wonderful, comforting, old-fashioned cookies that I know & love. Winter is settling in and it's time to light candles and fire up the oven to make some delicious little treats!

I was thinking a lot about my Grandma Marian these days and how much she loved cookies. Her favorite cookies were Ranger Cookies because she loved coconut & the crunch of the wheat flakes in them. They are extremely delicious and I don't think I've made them since she passed away so many years ago. It brought back great memories to make them again. I remember that she used to subtly hint to me that she wanted me to make these cookies when she said "I bought some Wheaties." I knew that meant that she'd love for me to make her favorite cookies. But, she'd never directly tell me to make them. She was so sweet & so subtle in her ways.

Today I'll enjoy some of these cookies again & include the recipe in this post. Right now they are fresh out of the oven and just as good as I can remember. Many modern cookbooks do not include Ranger Cookies as I remember them because they don't add the Wheaties (or any wheat flake that you'd like to put in) which I think is essential to the cookie. And as a bonus it adds more whole grains!

Here is the recipe:

Ranger Cookies-
Makes about 48 small cookies or 36 larger cookies

Heat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup oats
1 cup Wheaties cereal (or any other wheat flakes such as Kashi)
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Mix the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla thoroughly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in plain granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar. Place cookie balls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.

Enjoy this cozy recipe for a cold winter!

No comments: