Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Roasted Applesauce Spice Cake with a Caramel Glaze


Lately I've been really working on using a lot of the wonderful ingredients that I have on hand in my pantry, fridge and freezer. To make this amazingly delicious cake I first roasted some of Oregon's bounty- apples- in the oven with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then, I pureed those to create the applesauce used in this cake. I also used some apple pie filling I'd canned earlier in the fall season. Yum!



This cake is amazingly delicious and chock full of wonderful ingredients including some almonds that I had in the freezer as well as a lot of raisins and spices. I originally was going to put an additional vanilla glaze on top of the caramel glaze, but I found it wasn't necessary. It's so moist and good with the caramel that soaks into the cake that it doesn't need further embellishment. So, I encourage you all to raid your pantries and use the fall harvest to create something scrumptious to share with family, friends and co-workers. As you can see in the picture above the cake is full of big, juicy apple chunks! Enjoy!

No comments: